Welcome to Sproughton Parish Council
If you wish to speak with the Council, please contact our Clerk Kirsty Webber, in the first instance, email: SproughtonPC@gmail.com or Mob: 07538 311567
Your Parish Councillors
Helen Davies (Chair) 07501 057643 email@example.com
Simon Curl 01473 747114 firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer King 01473 652472 email@example.com
Sharon Maxwell firstname.lastname@example.org
Zac Norman 07577 359922 email@example.com
Peter Powell (Vice Chair) 01473 216522 firstname.lastname@example.org
Iain Selby 01473 652940 email@example.com
Becoming a Parish Councillor
Sproughton Parish Council currently has vacancies for anyone thinking about becoming a Councillor. Please contact our Clerk for further details, Kirsty Webber - SproughtonPC@gmail.com or on 07538 311567
What's it all about?
Being a Parish Councillor gives you the opportunity to contribute to the local community and affect decision-making processes about local issues. Sproughton Parish Council meets once per month, at the Tithe Barn Barley Room, to debate items on the agenda, and Councillors are expected to undertake some work outside of these meetings to familiarise themselves with information and documentation relevant to matters they could be asked to make decisions upon.
Councillors are not independent of the Council and express their views through a simple voting process to determine any actions the Council, as a whole, agrees to take, usually throught the Clerk.
Parish Councils form the lowest level of government but are closest to the electorate, with Councillors often resident within the parish and, therefore, familar with local issues.
They have a wide range of powers related to local matters, such as looking after community buildings, open spaces, allotments, burial grounds, play areas, street lighting, footpaths and bus shelters.
Most importantly, the Parish Council has the power to raise money through taxation, (a precept).
The precept is the Parish Council's share of the council tax paid by local residents to ensure local services and facilities are maintained.
If you'd like to know more about the workings of Sproughton Parish Council, or are interested in becoming a Parish Councillor, please contact our Clerk, Kirsty Webber at SproughtonPC@gmail.com.
There are also a number of other committees dealing with specific topics: -
- Beer Festival Committee: Meets on an ad-hoc basis as required to oversee the organisation of the annual Sproughton Beer Festival held in May, Cllrs Selby & King are members along with a number of volunteers from the parish, reports into the Parish Council.
- Beer Festival Sub-Committee: Meets on an ad-hoc basis as required to organise the annual Sproughton Beer Festival held in May, Cllrs Selby & King are members along with a number of volunteers from the parish, chaired by Simon Wood, reports into the Beer Festival Committee.
- Burial Ground Committee: Meets on an ad-hoc basis to oversee the running of the Burial Ground, Cllr Powell, Curl are members, reports into the Parish Council.
- Finance Committee: Meets in Autumn to prepare the annual budget and on an ah-hoc basis as required, reports into the Parish Council
- HR Committee: Meets on an ad-hoc basis as required, Cllrs Selby (Chair), Maxwell, King & Norman are members, reports into the Parish Council
- Neighbourhood Plan Sub-Committee: Meets monthly, Cllrs Davies & Curl, a number of parishioners are members, chaired by Mrs Rhona Jermyn, reports into the Planning Committee
- Planning Committee: Meets fortnightly, all councillors are members, reports into the Parish Council
Use the online HTML converter to maximize your web content composing efficiency.