The parish church of All Saints', Sproughton, stands at the junction of Church Lane and
Lower Street. There has been a church on the site from approx. 1200 AD, but little of the original church remains unaltered. The churchyard,which is a Listed Wildlife Site, borders the River Gipping.
The present building is built in flint with larger boulder stones incorporated in the walls near the base of the church. The oldest part of the building is the lower portion of the tower. The prevailing character of the architecture is decorative with many perpendicular additions. The Nave piers are 13th century, deeply moulded with four filleted shafts. The Arcade has three bays with wide span Arches and is clerestoried. There is a hammer beam roof and much heavily stained glass. The Chancel has a fine example of an early English double canopied Piscina.
Situated in the Sanctuary on the north wall is a memorial to Elizabeth Bull, a village benefactor who founded a charity in 1634 providing almshouses for two poor widows of the parish. These houses stand in Lower Street and are still in use today.
The church itself is Grade II* listed (1995, ID 277363). The reasons why it is listed are too long to reproduce here but can be found at http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-277363-church-of-all-saints-sproughton-suffolk (I think you need to be an architect to understand it apart from the obvious reason that it dates from around 1200AD)
The Church clock has a full chime and was presented by the parishioners of Sproughton in honour of the Diamond Jubilee of H.M. Queen Victoria. There are six Church bells:
- 3 cwt. 3 qrs. 22lbs. (1897)
- 3 cwt. (1658)
- 4 ½ cwt. (1658)
- 6 cwt. (1813)
- 7 ½ cwt. (1658)
- 9 cwt. (pre-Reformation)
For further information about the architecture of the church please see http://english-church-architecture.net/suffolk/s/sproughton/sproughton.htm
The Church taken from the far corner of the graveyard by the river. The area in front is cordoned as it has been designated a wildflower sanctuary.
The graveyard surrounds the Church. This part of the graveyard runs down to the banks of the River Gipping.